Saturday, March 17, 2007

Oxford



We went to Oxford for a look around today. The drive was fine, took about 1.5 hours, so less than we thought. It was pretty straightforward, and strangely we found our way around the city centre easily, considering we've never been there before.

When we turned into Broad Street, where the store is, it took my breath away. You know what a sucker I am for architecture and old buildings. I thought I was going to die. It was all a bit emotional really. I didn't think I'd ever even have the chance to live somewhere like that. I'm not getting my hopes up at all, I'm being very pragmatic about the whole thing(for me anyway!). Two days ago I didn't want to go, I love my job too much to leave, and didn't want him to get the job. Now, after seeing the city today, if he gets offered the job, we've got to seriously consider it. We won't be discussing it again until he's had the interview. I don't want to talk about it, I'm going on instincts rather than thoughts right now. :)

We drove out and looked at a few suburbs in the city outskirts and other local towns a bit further afield, as that is where we would more than likely end up renting.
The bookshop is superb, they're going to love Pete's experience. It is just a huge, ancient library. No wonder they spotted his CV and liked it! Pete was laughing because walking through the town I blended in with my drainpipe jeans, converse shoes and strange indie t-shirt, and he stuck out like a sore thumb in his blue jeans and white Nike trainers. It's my kind of town, what can I say!

This building is opposite the store


A Tudor building that caught my eye, now housing a Nokia shop!


A picture I took of Blackwell's from the car


Inside the store, in the Norrington room in the basement


I didn't take this, but it gives you an idea of the size of the store. The whole of this is Blackwell's, except for the cream coloured sliver of a building in the middle, which is a pub. To the left is the Norrington Room, and the right is four floors of books and a coffee shop

No comments: