Thursday, March 22, 2007

Blimey, what a day!

First of all, after sending that stroppy email last night, Pete had a very apologetic phone call today saying they'd pay for the repairs to the car as soon as we wanted. Funny how people react when you threaten them with going above their head.

Sooooo, Pete left at 6am to go to Oxford for his interview, which was at 11am. I had a manic morning trying to get three kids off to school/childminders and get myself to work by 8.30am. I have no idea how I did it. If he gets this job I'll be doing this for three months on my own. He called me at 9.30am, panicking, as he'd only travelled two thirds of the way, because the M25 had been horrendous. He managed to get there early in the end, and it all went brilliantly. He got on really well with the woman, who'd be his manager if he gets it. She called the consultancy as soon as he'd left and gushed about how impressed she was, and they called Pete straight away to tell him how much they liked him. He has an assessment centre with 3 other candidates and a second interview in a few weeks. I'm actually really crapping myself now, we're one step nearer. Of course, there is a huge chance he won't get it, and either way I'll be happy as I really really don't want to leave my job. If he's offered this we're in a very difficult position.

Then when Pete got home we had a new valuation from the Council about the house. We had to appeal the first valuation as they reckoned that this dump was worth £98,000. After we got this independent valuer in, he's given us the final price of £91,000, so we've stuck two fingers up at the Council there. I don't know how anyone would want to pay almost £100,000 for one of these. I will feel a bit naughty buying this place if he gets this job offer, as the only reason we were considering the purchase was because we couldn't afford anywhere else on our salaries. Of course with a new job that wont be the case, but we'll go ahead anyway.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course you can put a link to my blog, glad you like it.

Laney said...

Yay! Thanks. :)

I sat up last night and drank a whole bottle of wine whilst I read it. Your writing style sucked me in and before I knew it I had an empty bottle and it was 3am. Whoops!

Anonymous said...

Laney, you're a girl after my own heart! How'd you find me out of interest?

Laney said...

I also read Kitchen Witch's Blog, and your blog title caught my eye. I always start at the beginning when I read a new blog, hence it taking me hours. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I do tend to ramble ...