Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Where has my little blond baby gone?

It's gone so quickly. The same amount of time again and he'll be 16 and leaving school. If anyone reading this has a toddler, make the most of it, because before you know it they are off out into the world where you can't always protect them.

This time 8 years ago, my due date of 27th of January had come and gone with no sign of labour. I was in the hospital on the Sunday night, waiting to be induced at 42 weeks. I didn't know if I was having a boy or a girl, but everyone thought it was a girl(including me). I made friends with the girls on the ward pretty quickly. None of us had our babies yet and we were placing bets on who would go first. I'm still best friends with Becky to this day(we spoke on the phone yesterday).
I was induced that evening at about 10pm, but nothing happened. Becky kept me up all night moaning as she was in very slow labour, and completely spaced out from the drugs. I was woken up at 6am Monday to be induced again, and then I went back to sleep with the monitor strapped to me. I was woken up at about 10.30am by a midwife saying that I was having contractions. The labour only lasted 4 hours, I had it reasonably easy, except for the stitches! My son was born at 2.03pm on Monday 8th February 1999. He weighed 8lb 2oz and was perfect.
Back on the ward, his Dad stayed on the ward with us for what seemed like hours, and I still felt out of it from the gas. I remember Becky getting out of bed at some point and her waters going everywhere! We still laugh about it now.
I stayed in hospital for another day as I enjoyed it there with the girls. Becky eventually had her emergency c-section and her son Robin entered the world. I couldn't decide on a name for a few days but eventually settled on Taylor Michael Rowan.

Taylor is 8 tomorrow and is the sweetest, gentlest and most loving little boy anyone could wish for. He's the best thing that ever happened to me, and I can't believe the tough times we had together for the first year of his life. His personality lights up the room, and I can't wait to see what the future brings for him. He's a very quirky and eccentric little guy, but I like that about him. I hope he never changes.
Here are a few photos(well, a lot of photos!) of him over the years:















No comments: