Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Getting fitter(slowly)

It's bloody hard work, this exercising lark! I'm hating every minute of the lettuce, drinking lots of water and daily exercising, but after three long weeks it's finally starting to show. I've lost 4 pounds this week, my clothes are looser and I feel fitter. It's about time! I've got the worlds most fun but exhausting fitness video too. Its a club dancing one, so I love the music, and the dance moves, but I can only manage 45 minutes before it kills me.

We had a lovely day today, as James and his son Harvey came over for a surprise visit. James had a builder in and the drilling was driving them crazy, so they popped in for a couple of hours. Wendy, my next door neighbor, popped in for a cuppa too, very sociable day all in all.

I've dug the vegetable patch this week, I've made it about a foot longer, and dug the compost in. The soil left from last years was pretty good anyway. I've also built a small bed from a heavy duty cardboard container with some drainage holes in it. The lettuce is going in there. I'm growing 4 pots of potatoes, rather than in the ground, as I don't have the space. We've decided to grow rocket, lettuce, parsnips, leeks, onions, spring onions, tomatoes and potatoes. I'd love to grow more but can't take on too much at once.





Here is a little plan of what it should look like by the summer, it enlarges if you click on it. Yes, I am sad, but any other veg growers out there will know you need to plan your space. :) I just can't wait to get started now, roll on March when it all kicks off.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"but any other veg growers out there will know you need to plan your space."

Very true! The first year I grew my own veg I didn't allow anywhere near enough space and by the middle of June it all looked really crowded. The following year I drew plans and diagrams.

I do like your blog BTW, I often have a read, but I don't think I have commented before, so Hello :-)

Laney said...

Hi Kate!

I'm going to add your blog to my sidebar, if that's ok?