Monday, November 19, 2007

Lord of the Rings


We went to see The Lord Of The Rings musical at Drury Lane Theatre on Thursday, with my work. I took Ryan and my Mum with me, Ryan got a spare ticket due to a cancellation at the last minute, and seeing as it's quite educational going to the theatre, I thought it would benefit him.

The show itself is spectacular, the music, singing, costumes, effects, audience participation...I could go on and on. It was quite simply one of the best shows I've seen. I adored Galadriel in it, and if you watch the clip here called
Lothlórien, you'll see why. She had an amazing voice.

I only had one complaint. Most musicals and plays I've seen, they build up the characters so that you actually care about them. You want them to succeed, to fall in love, to win whatever battle it is they are fighting. I always cry at some point in the theatre, and I just didn't with this. It was all so rushed, understandably the perils of squeezing so much into such a short space of time, so that I just didn't care whether Aragorn and Arwen got to live happily ever after, or not. I wasn't bothered when Sam married Rosie at the end. A shame, but it didn't make it any less enjoyable, it was just different to other shows that pull at the heart strings. It was more of a spectacle, and all in all very enjoyable. I don't suppose I'll ever see anything else quite like it.

No comments: