Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Taylor managed to go to school yesterday, mainly because Pete was able to drop him off. I think doing the walk(hop?) twice in a day is a bit much, but just walking home is fine. He has stayed home today, but will be back in tomorrow. I suppose his attendance will be a bit erratic until the cast comes off. I've been doing some work on Ancient Egyptian mythology and history with the boys today, at their request, which is handy as it's my 'thing'. I have books on it coming out of my ears. We've written our names out in hieroglyphics, and they have some work to do on deities this afternoon. Ryan finally has an appointment at his new school tomorrow, just to fill out paperwork, then he has to sit some entry tests on Friday. I suppose we'd better start thinking about the dreaded school uniform shopping.

It's been a bit of a crazy week this week. We had a man round last night to measure our kitchen, he's coming around again tonight with the quotes for fitting the two we've picked out. Hopefully, it should be done by the first week in April. I can't imagine what it's going to be like, I've lived with this pit of a kitchen for such a long time. It's got to crisis point now, all the drawer fronts and doors fall off, there is mold growing under the sink, the floor tiles are cracking. It's just way past it's sell by date. We have never had a real hob to cook on in this house, so I can't wait to get a new cooker. I didn't expect to be here this long, so I've made do with a small, two ring portable electric hob for 8 years.

My Dad called last night while the builder was here, to tell me that my Grandad has died and his funeral is on Thursday. Talk about short notice. I was rather annoyed he hadn't told me sooner(he actually died 12 days ago), as I'd arranged to do a day trip at work on Thursday. Thankfully my boss is understanding, so I'm able to go. I haven't been able to visit my Grandad for years, because he would get too confused. None of the grandchildren have been able to see him, it would overwhelm him and freak him out. I'm glad he's finally gone, he's been ill with dementia and emphysema for years and years, and he was ready to go. He's been without my Nan for too long, it's been about 14 years since she died suddenly, and he must have missed her terribly all that time.


Anonymous said...

sounds like our kitchen, must have pictures when its done!
Sorry to hear about your Grandad.

Shirl said...

Sorry to hear the news about your grandad. Glad you have found Ryan a new school - best of luck!