Thursday, September 20, 2007

Expansion

I hate this part of the growing season, because every bit of veg I eat is one less in storage for the coming dark winter months. I just put my last onion into a batch of soup. I can't wait to get out there in February and start all over again.
On Tuesday I built a new raised bed, we are going to have another go at carrots next year. They HATE our soil, so need a deep bed. I also cleared out the sweetcorn and lettuce, and two of the tomato plants. It all looks kind of bare now. :(

New bed, minus soil and manure


The cleared out patch with parsnips, leeks and bonus child.


Work sucked today, two of my friends at work have mystery illnesses affecting them at the moment, which could potentially be serious, so that's a worry. I'm off out boozing in a minute with my long lost friend Dee who I haven't seen for 5 years(except for at the wedding reception, I was so glad she came). It'll be good to catch up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may need to call upon your veg-growing expertise over the next few weeks/months/years as Joe Brown and I are going to give this veg-growing malarky a go.

Laney said...

That would be very cool. I don't really know what I'm doing, and fly by the seat of my pants most of the time(in fact, I deal with most things in my life this way, I'm really just fortunate). I'd definitely reccommend joining Allotments4all forums, as they are so helpful and friendly. Anything I've not known I've asked about there, it's much better than any book. The best bit of advice I ever had from an old boy on an allotment was to start small, dig one or two small beds, and expand each year. It's far to easy to take on too much too soon, and lose faith in what you are doing. Good luck!